Possible Titanic Ghost? or just photo anomaly

aufo8mycow
Shadow
Shadow

Possible Titanic Ghost? or just photo anomaly

Postby aufo8mycow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:35 am

Hi guys.

My brother in law actually spotted this last weekend in the magazine National Geographic.

Will try to see if I can find some clearer pictures but on the very end of the line, there is a man quite clearly, you can make out his clothes along with the rivets behind him so he is translucent.. perhaps a trick of the original photograph or perhaps one of the men who died during construction.. can't find anything else on it but worth a look..

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Re: Possible Titanic Ghost? or just photo anomaly

Postby Jemm » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:40 am

hard to say :thinking2:
does look good though doesnt it :bigwink:

aufo8mycow
Shadow
Shadow

Postby aufo8mycow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:53 am

I'm trying to find a bigger picture like the one in national Geographic. I'm leaning to a double exposure or something like that as I rmemeber my mum had some wonderful table mats of Warwick Castle and there were some set around the same time of a street view with the same ghostly images. Saying that, Seventeen men died during the construction of Olympic and Titanic including a father and son although some sites quote only 2 died on Titanic alone, The youngest was a fifteen-year old boy named Samuel J. Scott. it was actually a few more.. Samuel J. Scott, Catch-Boy, 15 years old.
John Kelly, Heater-boy, 19 years old.
William Clarke, Driller, 27 years old.
James Dobbin, Shipwright
Robert James Murphy, Rivet counter

So who knows, could be a ghost.. could be an exposure error, either way for the time it had a very low mortality rate based on over 3000 men building her.

Buddah James
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Buddah James » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:23 pm

just looking at the pictures but it looks like the shadow on the wall from the
man standing on the end :think: !! but thats my observation of the photo !!

aufo8mycow
Shadow
Shadow

Postby aufo8mycow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:59 pm

Your right james it does, saying that though in the national geographic one its quite a large image and you can see his shirt buttons, white shirt and black trousers something you dont get with a shadow I'm just struggling to find a close up image of it but will keep trying, if not will scan that issue but my sister has got it it's £5 a copy over here lol so a bit of a rip off to go and rebuy it :(

aufo8mycow
Shadow
Shadow

Postby aufo8mycow » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:06 pm

Found one yay :) Try this it's actually better if you click on the link and than click the actual image to zoom in

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3253/2955729353_44b3c0f122_b.jpg

Buddah James
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Buddah James » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 am

hey aufo8mycow that new pic you have just put up is better and alot clearer
and i maybe wrong on my first opinion as if you look closely at the man on the
end uniform and the shadow uniform they are totally different from each
other in design !!

aufo8mycow
Shadow
Shadow

Postby aufo8mycow » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:31 am

Agree James, and he is at a slightly different angle, plus oddly he is in half shadow. The one in the magazine was even clearer and you could see rivets through his shirt. Just an oddity and don't know what to make of it, I haven't seen any other posts on any other forum when you google it either of anyone else picking up on this so it's stange but it is an authentic picture as it's all over the net, just no one says ghosts or photo over exposure big hmmmmmmmm :s

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:10 pm

alsooooooo
the "shadowy figure" is standing straight with both his arms down...the figure to the far left has his arm in the air as if leaning on a stick / broom or whatever :thinking2:

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Postby Dellycat » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:49 pm

I think your gut instinct was correct at the start Sean. I believe it to be an anomaly caused by slow camera and the person moving. I have zoomed in and cropped that section and then adjusted the curves (fine tuned brightness and darkness type of thing) to show more detail.
In the original lighting you can see the guys are casting a bit of a shadow on the person to their right, our left. The shadow has a darker shadow being cast on it and not on the wall behind which indicates it is solid matter. In the original picture you can see there are holes in the floor, it appears to me that the person looks like they are stepping up from that hole, with the picture darkened you can see what looks like a lifted leg like the coat is sitting on a leg, there is a crease at about the right spot for a hip.
Also in the darkened image you can see the person has the same type of hat on and you can see more of the facial features.
I think the person might have been standing down in the hole then decided to step up as the picture was taken and the movement has caused ghosting yet the shadow has still been strong enough to hold as that isn't moving.
If the person is coming up a step to be next to the last person there, it would make sense as the scale is correct.

Another thing to look at is the overall lighting. On the lower right of the picture is a lot of shadow area and the row of men are in that shadow area. The rest of the wall behind and the propeller on the left is in very bright light. Look at the man on the left on his own, very washed out in the brightness compared to the others, the man that is ghosted is also in the edge of the bright light area hence the sharp contrast of the shadow from the other man on his body. Again with that in mind and adding movement, old style equipment etc, there is a much higher chance of a moving person being ghosted....

Still a nice photo and good discussion :grin:

Thank you to my other half who also enjoyed looking at and discussing that photo as well and came up with some of the answers as well :heart:

What is next :cheesy:

Cropped
titanic-ghost-cropped.jpg
titanic-ghost-cropped.jpg (80.86 KiB) Viewed 7906 times

Enhanced
titanic-ghost-cropped-enhanced.jpg
titanic-ghost-cropped-enhanced.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 7906 times

Buddah James
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Buddah James » Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:05 pm

all hail Queen Delly to our rescue again :yesmaster: :yesmaster: this is a very good discussion as we have
looked at well most possibilities in trying to find a creditable and logical explanation to this photo !! glad
you have the gizmo's to analyse the photo's better !! :yeah: :clap: :cheesy:

princess13
Devil
Devil

Postby princess13 » Fri May 03, 2013 3:31 pm

A bit late in the discussion but awesome observation Delly. :thumbsup:

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Fri May 03, 2013 7:19 pm

oh I loved this discussion when it was in full swing...bring back the good old days when everyone was involved :bigwink: Thanks for bumping up these threads Prinny good to keep these topics alive.

Return to “Titanic General discussion”