Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

THE BEAUMONT CHILDREN

Postby Dellycat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:11 pm

beaumontchildren1jb6.jpg
beaumontchildren1jb6.jpg (40.2 KiB) Viewed 40346 times
Dellycat

Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008
The disappearance of the Beaumont children in Adelaide in 1966 has become part of Australian folklore. Nobody under the age of 40 was alive when it happened, but few Australians today have not heard of the children. The disappearance is a tragedy that has become a cultural landmark in modern Australian history.

The 26th January 1966 was Australia Day, a national holiday. Back in those days you could leave your house unlocked, keys in your car or let the children go out by themselves without the fear that something was going to happen. This was the day that would change the way people lived……forever.

At 10am three young children Jane (9), Arnna (7) and Grant (4) Beaumont, left their home in the Adelaide suburb of Somerton Park to go to the beach at nearby Glenelg, carrying a small travel bag containing their beach towels and given about 6 shillings to spend. They were expected to return at lunch time. When they didn’t return by that time, their mother Nancy thought that they may have missed the bus and would be on the next. But when they didn’t turn up on the next one or the one after that, she started to get concerned. When her husband Jim got home at 3pm, she told him and he took off in the car to look for them, returning after a short while to collect Nancy when he couldn’t find them. They both continued to search and finally went to the Police at about 5pm to report them missing.

There were about 7 sightings of the children, five of them reported seeing them with a man.

The last sighting of them was when they went into a shop to buy some lunch. This sighting was also interesting as they paid for their purchase with a pound note, something they didn’t have when they left home.

Many people got involved with the search, including Dutch psychic Gerard Croiset who was successful in finding missing children in his own country.

Croiset was sent photos and information regarding the disappearance and sent back information of where he thought the children were, but these leads were unsuccessful. Eventually Croiset was bought to Australia to see if he could help here. The Beaumonts didn’t want to meet him, one because they didn’t believe in psychics and secondly they didn’t like the media circus to do with him coming to Adelaide, though Croiset did go and see them briefly before he left.

During his pre-visit communications and his eventual visit, he kept changing his mind about where they were, first of all he said they were only about half a mile from where they disappeared, possibly in a collapsed storm water pipe, then they were in some sand dunes. All these locations were arrived at through looking at photos and reading reports sent to him. He didn’t come to Australia until the November, almost 11 months after the children vanished. He walked the beach and made notes, then after a phone call from a woman, he finally said they were buried under a warehouse floor and requesting that it be dug up. Police and the owners were reluctant to do that as they had already searched the area and bodies would have been found during the earth works on the site. He told another person that he believed the children were buried in the foundations of a block of flats but didn’t want to upset people there so went for the warehouse instead. Croiset left Australia just after that having failed to find the children. Many believe he was a fraud and really didn’t know where the children were.

The search of the warehouse has continued over the years, still with nothing being found.

Croiset died in 1980, still believing he knew where the children were and this still remains Australia’s biggest unsolved mystery.

This was aired on Australian TV as a cold case earlier this year, though a few more leads came forward it still remains unsolved.
Info from this site
http://www.beaumontchildren.com/

The Psychic & The Warehouse
http://beaumontchildren.com/beaumontFalseLeadsPsychic.html

It has come to my attention that It has been claimed elsewhere that this article is exclusive to another forum. I want to make it clear that this article was written by me and posted on another forum I was a member of at the time. The article is copyright to me and as such I can use it where ever I want.
I have never asked the other site to remove the article because that is petty, but I find the claims of exclusivity Absurd.

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Re: THE BEAUMONT CHILDREN

Postby Jemm » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm

I have to agree what a ridiculous claim! I for one am glad that you came forward to state the facts on this topic.

I vouch for Dellycat! I was there when she wrote it. It's amazing that people who ask you to volunteer your time can think they own your intellectual property! Copyright always belongs to the writer or artist unless they sign a CONTRACT giving those rights away. This was a great article, too. And appropriate for this Aussie forum!

Buddah James
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Buddah James » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:43 pm

just to let you all know there is a segment on channel 7'sunday night in which it's about Australia's worst serial killer and the beaumont children may get an input on the show so if you find this case interesting i suggest you watch the show !! :thumbsup:

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:24 pm

saw that thanks James ...
http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/video/watch/26800723/
convicted child killer Derek Percy. Source: AdelaideNow
NEW evidence has emerged implicating jailed child killer Derek Percy in an unsolved death of a Sydney boy.
Percy, who has been in prison in Victoria for 42 years after being found insane, is suspected of being involved in the death or disappearance of at least nine children in three states during the 1960s.
He has even been linked to the disappearance of the Beaumont children from Glenelg beach, in 1966, when he was about 17 and on holiday with his parents in Adelaide.
On Channel 7's current affairs show Sunday Night tonight, investigative journalist Graham Archer interviews a witness, who has never previously come forward, who connects Percy to the 1968 death of toddler Simon Brook, in Glebe.
The witness, whose name has not been released, was a 10-year-old living at an orphanage next door to the building site where the three-year-old's body was found.
The witness has described seeing Percy, who worked at nearby Garden Island naval base, holding Brook's hand on the day of his murder, and seeing Percy staring through the fence at the children in the orphanage.
Archer said the witness had come forward after seeing Percy's photograph in a book about him by investigative journalist Debi Marshall.
"The witness adds enormous weight to the other evidence against Percy," he said. "Percy could be conceivably charged in Simon Brook's killing."
The witness, who has since contacted police, said: "I seen Derek Percy, I know it was him that I seen.
"I didn't want to remember. I just didn't want to remember it. I was trying to forget."
When police detectives visited the orphanage the witness said: "I was way too scared to talk to them. I didn't want to get in trouble for looking through holes in the fence and talking about what I'd seen".
Simon Brook's parents, Donald and Phyllis, now in their 80s and living in Adelaide, have never talked publicly about their son's murder, Archer said.
"(Mr Brook) has made a plea requesting the case is opened up again and charges laid," Archer said. "And I think that's highly likely."
In 2005, prior to the new witness emerging, the NSW coroner recommended Percy should be charged with Simon Brook's murder but this was rejected by the NSW DPP. "At the moment, he's only in custody at the Governor's leisure," he said.
In 2010, a court found Percy did not suffer from any identifiable psychiatric disorder, which could make it easier for him to seek parole.
Mr Brook said: "And we believe it's most important that he should be convicted."
Percy admitted to the 1969 murder of 12-year-old Yvonne Tuohy, in Warneet, Victoria, but was found not guilty after a plea of "insanity".
Sunday Night is on Channel 7 at 6.30pm.
watkinsem@sundaymail.com.au

http://www.beaumontchildren.com/beaumontDerekErnestPercy.html
Derek Ernest Percy is a sadistic child-murderer, who was imprisoned for murdering Yvonne Elizabeth Tuohy on a Victorian beach in July 1969. Declared not guilty by reason of insanity, he remains imprisoned because he is considered too dangerous to be released. In December 2005 it was claimed that he had committed other murders but would not admit them for fear of harming any hope of being released in the future.

Buddah James
Poltergeist
Poltergeist

Postby Buddah James » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:54 pm

the guy is a sick f**Ker !! that segment gave me the Hebe jeebees and I'll go as far as to say please someone do us a favor and put a bullet in his head and be done with him !! man i need to have a shower with bleach and acid that's how dirty I'm feeling after watching it !! please let me do this to him :tnt:

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:16 pm

yeah put me off my dinner thats for sure

Dr Whom
Spirit
Spirit

Postby Dr Whom » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:38 pm

I was reading through some Police magazines a while ago, and they told a story of a group of kids, similar to the Beaumonts, going to a remote beach, and digging tunnels in the sand.

I think there were around 5 of them. Four of them were in one tunnel when it collapsed. The lucky fifth, raced to get help (I'm quoting from a bad memory so the numbers may be very wrong). I'm sure some died, but what amazed investigators was how, if it wasn't for the fifth kid getting help, all five kids would have just "disappeared".

There have been quite a few cases of kids dying when their sand tunnels or holes collapse, and this certainly offers another alternative to what could have happened to these poor kids.

The Doctor

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:04 pm

it's a possibility but in the beaumont case I don't think we'll ever know... a few Summer holidays ago up here on Noosa Main Beach there was a similar case where a kid about 12 was with his grandparents and he did the same thing, dug a sand tunnel...the inevitable happened and it caved in , unfortunately they couldnt save him he suffocated . :cry:

nomes

Postby nomes » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:44 pm

Hi Gang, Was just reading about this case last week, apparently a man has come forward claiming he could be the son, he states a case - not sure if worthy of believing, however interesting. If I can find the post again I will put it in here. His name is David Estes ( I think?)

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Postby Dellycat » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:17 pm

Thanks Nomes, I did some digging with that info and found this link. Wonder if there is any truth behind it or not. I suppose only DNA will ultimately tell the truth.

http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/us-man-david-estes-claims-doe-network-show-he-is-identical-match-for-grant-beaumont/story-e6frg12c-1226253390408

pinkelephants
Devil
Devil

Postby pinkelephants » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:14 am

I would not know if to believe him or not. without a dna test you wouldnt know.

we have also had a similar incident here in northern nsw at kingscliffe which a teen dug a hole and was buried. luckily for him was able to be rescued but they are looking at making safety measures where the teen was digging.

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:15 am

BUT this fella also claims to be the son of Elvis (in other reports) so nope not buying that one :think:

ff6257
Spirit
Spirit

Postby ff6257 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:11 pm

Wonderful article if it was dellycat who wrote it you should work for a newspaper! If you haven't already.

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Postby Dellycat » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:50 pm

Thank you Red. Yes I did put that article together, I researched the subject, collected my info then put it together into what you see. Took a while, I am no writer so thank you for your comments.

Return to “THE BEAUMONT CHILDREN”