angeliqueamelie's Halloween in Australia??? and more

Postby Jemm » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:26 pm

Halloween in Australia: Why not?

megsy
Demon
Demon

Re: angeliqueamelie's Halloween in Australia??? and more

Postby megsy » Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:20 pm

It has always been a bone of contention with me, the topic of Sabbats and holidays here in the Southern Hemisphere. Every year I have arguments (and lots of sighs and tuts) about Halloween being celebrated in October. This is an American adoption and NOT an Australian one.

Here in our beautiful country, we reside in the SOUTHERN hemisphere and not the Northern hemisphere like our American brothers and sisters - therefore, Sabbats, solstices, equinox' and all other holdiays fall at different times of the year.

The Sabbats are solar and seasonal, and represent the cycle of birth, life, death and rebirth . They are due to season changes folks - so therefore - can not be celebrated the same as America.

In October, we celebrate Beltane (starting 31 October) - This is the time when the brilliant red free-covering bell-flowers of the Flame Trees highlight our forests and gardens. In Australia, you might be told: "One thing you must remember, 'tis the merry month of November". Beltaine actually means "bel-Fire", derived from the Celtic God Bel, which means Lord. Beltaine and Samhain are the two greatest festivals, the beginning of Summer (Beltane) and the beginning of Winter (Samhain).

So we need to celebrate the end of winter and the beginning of summer. Hallow Eve (or Samhain as I know it) is the total opposite - the beginning of winter and the goodbye to the summer days. It is the Celtic new year and a time when the veil between the physical and spiritual world are thin. It is a time to commune with ancestors and loved ones that have passed over. Samhain opens the dark half of the year, it is the first day of winter.

So this year - instead of heading down to the many shops that sell halloween costumes and ghosts and ghouls to decorate the house - lets get it right...... Weaving and plaiting are traditional arts at this time of the year. This represents the joining together of two substances to form a third, this is the spirit of Beltane. This is the union of the God and Goddess, the Sacred Marriage, all new life, fertility for all living things and the end of winter. It isn't dark and gloom and scary - it is bright and sunny and airy, and we should give thanks to Mother Earth.
There is an inn, a merry old inn beneath an old grey hill, And there they brew a beer so brown that the Man in the Moon himself came down one night to drink his fill - sign under the Prancing Pony Inn - LOTR

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Good point and good summery..
Firstly let me say,the quote on the clip .."Halloween in Australia: Why not?" is not mine , it was attached to the clip..
and the whole clip is done tongue in cheek.

I'm married to an American and he's only been in Australia some 9 years and I have just asked him does he miss Halloween..
his reply "yes it's a fun time" but he's adjusting to not celebrating it along with other American traditions such as Thanks Giving and the 4th July & so on..his words are , it's respecting the cultures in the country you are living in.

As an Australian and my "own" personal opinion, halloween is like you said , not in our hemisphere, AND as far as I'm concerned , it's purely a marketing tool for the retail outlets to make extra $$.

If you ask Aussie kids today, "what is Halloween?" they would not give the answer as you posted above, the real meaning is lost, same goes for Christmas and Easter..all the true meanings of these traditions are being lost in time.

I really dont want to get into a debate on religion as this is not what this Forum is about, so I'll just finish by saying

all of the above is just my opinion and does not reflect on the forum or admin :bigwink:

megsy
Demon
Demon

Postby megsy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:22 pm

I have no qualms with people celebrating what ever their little hearts desire to - as long as they understand what it is they are celebrating - and celebrates it at the right time ! It is like celebrating Halloween in America in May - it's just not right !! . Halloween here is a commercial money making day - and like you said, you ask the children what they are celebrating and they have NO idea. (Mind, you - don't get me wrong, I still have treats for the door knockers on the night :grin: ) but I personally do not celebrate it that way and get on my high horse a bit :sorry: when it is bought up.
There is an inn, a merry old inn beneath an old grey hill, And there they brew a beer so brown that the Man in the Moon himself came down one night to drink his fill - sign under the Prancing Pony Inn - LOTR

Return to “Traditions”