Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Fremantle Asylum

Postby Dellycat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Dellycat
Posted: Fri Jan 11, 2008

Image Image Image Image Image

My Visit
I visited the Asylum a couple of weeks ago, for the second time in 5 months and each visit is different. On my first visit I felt there was something around the stairs, a feeling of being watched yet I didn't see anything and nothing showed in my photos. On my second visit, everything felt normal until I entered the cell. The feeling of absolute despair was so strong, it was almost unbearable. I had a fear of being locked in the room, even though this isn't possible as the door has been fixed back so it can't be shut. I took a couple of photos and was out of there as quick as I could. I learnt afterwards that people pick up many different feelings in there, from nothing, anger, hopelessness, despair.
The cell is the only remaining one, there used to be lots more but the others were demolished a long time ago. I also found out that off this room, though acess isn't visible now, there was a laundry room and a morgue. Ove the years the building has had many uses and been modified tor those purposes, now it is a museum and most of the building has been set up as such. Many of the windows are covered inside by displays and artificial walls.
People have reportedly taken photos of the outside of the building and seen people at the windows, but on inspection, the window in question is one that has been covered by a display or artificial wall.
I want to go back again soon and spend more time there, sit and see what I feel and talk to the staff and hear their stories as many have experiences they like to share.
For anyone visiting Fremantle, this should be on the must visit list

History
The imposing building on six acres overlooking the harbour city was the largest public building constructed by convicts in the State after the Fremantle Prison which had been built in the 1850s. The design, in colonial gothic style was by Lieutenant-Colonel Sir Edmund Henderson, the Comptroller-General of Convicts in Western Australia, and built to accommodate 50 people. Over the next thirty years a number of additions were incorporated, principally designed by government architect George Temple-Poole.

The Asylum continued to operate for its intended purpose through to the early 1900s, when following two suspicious deaths which provoked comment from the local press, the Government set up an enquiry which concluded with a recommendation that the building "...be demolished as unfit for purpose for which it is now used."[1] Patients were then moved to alternative locations in the metropolitan area between 1901 and 1905.

The building was used shortly after for housing for homeless women and later as a midwifery school. Until World War II it was known as the Old Women's Home. During World War II it became the headquarters for the American armed services based in Western Australia, and after the war it was used for a time as an annexe of Fremantle Technical School.

In 1957, the State Education Department proposed its demolition in order to use the land as playing fields for the adjacent John Curtin High School. A public outcry and opposition campaign led by the Mayor of Fremantle, Sir Frederick Samson halted the demolition. After many years of lobbying for State and Federal government funding, a major restoration project commenced in 1970 and since 1972 it has housed the Western Australian Maritime Museum (now relocated to Victoria Quay), the Fremantle Arts Centre and the Immigration Museum.

In 2001, the City of Fremantle adopted the Fremantle Arts Centre Conservation Plan, a guide for its conservation. In January, 2007, conservation works were completed with the gable finials on the west façade restored to their original state, following their demolition at the turn of the 20th century.

Ghosts
The building is reputed to be haunted by several ghosts from its lunatic asylum days.

One of these is said to be a former female inmate who became deranged with grief after her daughter was abducted. She is believed to have jumped to her death from a first floor window. The woman's ghost has apparently been seen throughout the building while she searches for her daughter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fremantle_Arts_Centre

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Re: Fremantle Asylum

Postby Jemm » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:22 pm

Perth Ghost Hunters
Posted: Sat Jun 07, 2008

This a great place for any ghost hunters
We have just posted up our investigation at our website with the evidence collected from the Museum. Too big to post here. We haven't seen any apparitions there, but experienced some cold spots, strange EMF and collected plenty of EVP's from a number of investigations there.

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Postby Dellycat » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:23 pm

I love going to the asylum. It is a fantastic old building.
I haven't had a chance to see what you have put on your site yet, will look tomorrow when i get a few minutes to spare.
I didn't like the cell, that had a definate presence about it and someone I went with a couple of months ago thought it was a male spirit in there and that something horrible had happened to him like some sort of barbaric treatment, like electric shock treatment or something. I thought it was female, but wasn't sure, but I do know they were desperate.

Also while there, I felt the top of the stairs, on the landing, was very cold. That was were I felt like I was being watched. There was also something in the room across the hall from where the room where the cell is. (I think that makes sense).

I spoke to one of the workers there afterwards and was told that there is a woman that hangs around the stairs and sometimes she pushes people in the back.

I was also told that a photographer was in the place one day and took photos in the art school section which is not open to the public. A scotsman was in one of the pictures playing the bagpipes. There was no one in the room at the time. I was also told a story about the cell, they used to shut and lock the door to the cell and one day on a tour the door was shut and locked so someone took a photo through the cell window from outside. A head showed up in the photo like someone lying on the bed, so they ran and found the key to get in there, but when they did, there was no one there. I am not sure if that is true or not, but it is one of the stories told by the workers.

ff6257
Spirit
Spirit

Postby ff6257 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:48 am

The old asylum is one of my favorite places to go, I have experienced some strange things there as well.

pinkelephants
Devil
Devil

Postby pinkelephants » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:18 pm

need to do a ghost hunt when i decide to vist WA it will b fun :YAY:

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Postby Dellycat » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Unfortunately the Arts Center is no longer a museum, it is just a place that displays art and I am not sure of the visiting hours now. The last time I went there with Mai when she visited Perth, they no longer had anything to see. However, they did allow us to walk around the place and look at the empty rooms (well those that didn't have art work on display) so we did get a good look around. We were also allowed access to the courtyard area behind the cell which is normally out of bounds.
It was very interesting as most of the center has been refurbished as an art gallery. The old cell area is behind a black curtain and has not had anything done to it and the cell is still there. We encountered strong resentment and anger in that area. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
The woman ghost still hangs around the stairs and tried to communicate with mai.
I also learned that visit that not all ghosts turn an area cold, they can also cause hot spots which the woman at the top of the stairs did!
We visited the courtyard behind the cell and felt the same anger and frustration at the window as we felt in the cell.
I am not sure what is going to be availabe to people who visit the place in the future, I am just happy that I got to go around the place before it was totally taken over by artists.

ff6257
Spirit
Spirit

Postby ff6257 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:59 pm

Was the rocking chair that moves by mechanics still there when you came cause i remember you could hear stories while looking through and would love a recap :D

Return to “Fremantle Asylum”