Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Finding Your Perfect Tarot Deck

Postby Dellycat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:03 pm

Shiaggra
Posted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:36 am

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/tarot-cards/

When first thinking of using Tarot cards, it's difficult to know where to start. Just picking a Tarot deck to work with out of the thousands available can be a daunting task. For the newbie Tarot reader, the mystery of how one selects the ideal deck remains.

Every Tarot reader has their own preference of which deck works best for them. In some cases, this preference can transform into the belief that there are only one or two decks appropriate to use. While it there are some decks that are easier for the beginner to interpret, it is an individual choice which would work best. When you're considering picking your first deck, keep these points in mind...

Match your style!

With the million and one variations in Tarot decks, you have the chance to match your taste and preference with the perfect deck. Whatever design period, artist, hobby, or theme, there is great chance of having a Tarot deck to match.

While the illustrations are only half of a deck's personality -the card interpretations are equally important- pictures can create an evocative experience for both the Tarot reader as well as the client. Think carefully of the colors you love: rich jewel tones, pastels, monotone.

If there are any artists that you particularly admire, search for a Tarot deck inspired by their work. Fan of Art Nouveau? There are many beautiful decks in this distinctive style. If you choose a Tarot deck that you love the looks of, it will inspire the best efforts from you.

Define the deck.

Every Tarot deck will contain subtle (and major) differences in the definitions of the Tarot cards as well as card names and positions in the deck. For many beginner Tarot readers, the only guide they have to learn the meanings of the cards is what comes with the deck.

It's crucial to realize that just as the card meanings will change according to the reading, Tarot decks also contain variations. If it is possible to read some excerpts from the guide and compare the same card meaning from different decks, you can get an idea of the mood of the deck.

Just like it is important to select a Tarot design that works with your sense of style, it is also necessary to find one in sync with your mindset. Once again, if your Tarot deck works with you, you'll have a much easier time working with it.

If At First You Don't Succeed

You might have purchased Tarot cards after looking at the design and definitions and thought you had the perfect match. And then you started to work with them and - there's no real connection.

The cards feel flat in your hands and pictures that seemed whimsical feel garish to you now. What next? Find another deck and start again!

Take that first deck and let someone else use them via eBay, kijiji or cragislist. Go to stores that carry a good variety of Tarot decks and try them in person. Read other people's Tarot deck reviews. See if there are any cards you can borrow from a friend to try out. It might take you longer than you'd like to find your perfect deck but persevere and your readings will benefit from it.
Reading Tarot is a long term relationship of discovery and guidance. Start your journey in the right direction by finding the Tarot deck that inspires and moves you.

Me personally I was drawn to my decks, I have three decks now but I did have more. I was drawn to them as well but not for myself, I have given the other decks away as gifts as they were not meant for me.
I love my Sacred Circle deck and Dragonfae deck and Animal Messenger Oracle decks.

megsy
Demon
Demon

Re: Finding Your Perfect Tarot Deck

Postby megsy » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:42 am

I have Peter Pracownik's Dragon Tarot

I have a number of other Tarot and Oracles but I use the Dragons the most.
There is an inn, a merry old inn beneath an old grey hill, And there they brew a beer so brown that the Man in the Moon himself came down one night to drink his fill - sign under the Prancing Pony Inn - LOTR

JenMarie
Shadow
Shadow

Postby JenMarie » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:41 pm

A few months ago, I wanted to start reading tarot cards, and was advised to start with the Rider/Waite deck and work with an accompanying workbook. I find the book helpful, but I think I have started to depend on it as a crutch. Plus, I don't see the same things in the cards that the books says I should. Does this mean I picked the wrong deck? Do you have any pointers for getting past self-doubt? I often freeze up and am so scared that I will be wrong that I can't complete a reading... :verysad:
Proud member of the Chewy tribe, established 2011.

white wolf
Demon
Demon

Postby white wolf » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:02 pm

Hi

When i read cards i go with my gutt feeling all the time and i think you should always do the same .
I also dont just read Tarot i can do a mixture of things and read other cards along with any reading i do and i of course get things that pop in my head at the time this is what i use in my reading.

Do try out other cards as you may find a pack which for you seems better like Angel cards etc and to which you seem more atune with. I also do numerology within the readings that i do aswell.

Im always here if you want to ask a question ,if i can help i will .

ww
Attachments
179187_306283856134777_865024397_n.jpg
179187_306283856134777_865024397_n.jpg (11.17 KiB) Viewed 4028 times

JenMarie
Shadow
Shadow

Postby JenMarie » Sat Aug 04, 2012 6:00 am

Hi! I have to admit that I know nothing of numerology, but it's something I am interested in learning more about. That movie with Jim Carrey "The Number 23" was very intriguing.

I have wondered about trying other cards... and I was actually thinking of angel cards. :smile:

Since writing my original reply I have tried to do a couple of readings without the book, and one of them came back (I'm told) dead on... the other one I didn't feel as good about, and I am waiting to hear back from the person I read them for. I guess I'll know how I'm doing without the book at that time.

Thanks for the offer of help, you'll probably hear back from me as I endeavor to read more with my own intuition and try new things out. :glassesclean:

How long have you been reading cards? Was it always easy for you? (Hope you don't mind the questions!)
Proud member of the Chewy tribe, established 2011.

white wolf
Demon
Demon

Postby white wolf » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:24 pm

Hi ya

Since about 1982 when in the Army lots of strange things started happening to me round bout that time and i researched the paranormal and studied witchcraft to which ive always been drawn to anyway.

Then i joined a number of paranormal teams over the years and even a coven in the New Forest to which im still a member and its just gone on from all that really.

Good luck with it all .

Merry meet
Blessed be.

WW

Return to “Tarot / Runes”