Analyzing Photographic Evidence

This section is for members to post information on equipment that they use, the good and the bad. If you know of an instrument that you recommend this is the place to put it.
Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:25 pm

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008

By CelticSpirits
Another question for our investigators! You guys are going to get sick of me I am sure...

Anyway, we had a very valid question by a member in regards to learning how to tell what would be deemed paranormal and what is nothing more than natural causes. Is that something that you would be willing to share with us? There is nothing that I could find online that would explain it well enough to understand from a novice point of view. Plus I would much rather have an experienced investigator explain it to us.

Reply By SCPD Founder
Well yeah you can do a little study about photography like common things that can show up and what they are caused by. Actually if you do research most orbs didn't start showing up until digital cameras. Orbs do have some type of energy but what it exactly is isn't known yet. We don't know all things but what you can also do it bring them to a photo analyst and see what they think and even pick up information from them. One thing the human mind does is pick familiar shapes and objects when sometimes there is nothing there. That is just a simple overview of it. Anything else I guess just ask.

Well the best way to tell is to look at if it seems to be emanating its own light. That gives it more tangibility but once again very hard to say and it would not be used as any type of evidence in determining a haunting you would want to get something more concrete that has very distinguishable and defined features.

Reply By CelticSpirits
Thanks for clarifying a bit on orbs. They did become all the rage a few years back, I have always had a difficult time with groups that deem orbs as evidence, when they are clearly nothing more than particles in the air.

How would you classify the photo that you captured at the depot?

For our members who have yet to see this amazing photo and have a myspace account, you can find it here: Close Up

And

Full Size Image

For our members who do not have myspace look here: Depot Picture & Investigation
Reply By SCPD Founder
Well we wrote in out investigation report that we could not prove or disprove this. So it is up in the air as of now. We have new photos up on the myspace as well from our most recent investigation of the theater. We caught some amazing photos and will have a full report and more evidence soon. If you watch the video at out site we got a ton of sounds and movment in the train itself oh and many voices as well.

Reply By GypsyVanner

enjoyed looking at the investigation findings and also the videos. I am wondering how much of what you record is down to anticipation, so that each noise you catch, becomes labelled paranormal. Not a criticism here, but just wondering how you filter out what could be normal from paranormal. In any confined space, noises are amplified, so a squeaky floorboard could be interpreted as footsteps. I understand about the door opening, but could that have been coincidence? Or somebody outside?

I do believe in the paranormal but just inquisitive questions!

Reply by SCPD Founder
Those are very good questions. That is why we go back and investigate more than once and always try to find explanations like noisy floor boards or whatever it could have been other than paranormal and if we can't find a reasonable explanation we put it up as evidence. The door opening was tested a ton of times and could not be recreated. There was no movement at the time that could have caused it and it didn't open naturally, when it was tested the door opened much further and the tape on the door stuck well, the same as the first time we made sure it was stuck on. The tape rips with much force and as tested you would need much force on the tape to open it. It is the testing that brought us to this point and conclusion. We go through our video and audio with a fine comb and pay attention to things that can cause sounds as well and other factors. On one hand certain things are more concrete than others. Like certain voices or sounds and creeks and stuff. On another hand it is our choice and research that leads us to label things a certain way. This whole paranormal thing is still unknown itself so questions will always be asked unless something changes what we know at this point. Keep in mind we always try tests to see what it could have been and what it can't be as well. That is the final piece to make a decision on something.

Reply By CelticSpirits
I have a question Founder, in all the years that you have been investigating, how many investigations have you done? I am curious since logic would tell me that the more experience one has, pinpointing, defining and debunking sounds would become easier. Do you find that the case?

I also have to commend you on returning to the sites numerous times to define the evidence. I have read cases of some groups out there that only do a single investigation, labeling the place haunted with evidence that is shaky at best. Returning for further investigation gives groups more credence.

Reply By SCPD Founder
Yes very true the more you do the more you learn and do things better. I don't have the exact number with me at the moment but we have done many many investigations over the past 6 years. Majority that we have evidence for we have done many times to find out even more and if we have only one investigation and evidence at this point we plan to go back as soon as we can to find out more.

Reply CelticSpirits
If you do not get any evidence on an initial investigation, do you go back a second time? Or are there deciding factors to whether you go back?

Reply SCPD Founder
It doesn't always depend on us but sometimes on the people. If they are happy we found nothing than that is good too if they are serious about it and want us back we will do our best. We are here to help.

Reply CelticSpirits
Thanks for clarifying that Founder. If I may ask, how do you locate locations to investigate? Are you contacted or do you look for locations? I would assume that you have individuals contact you, since you investigate private residences, but what about commercial locations?
Reply GypsyVanner
Thank you Jean-Pierre for answering my questions. I apologise for not writing back straight away.

I often wondered about some TV programmes such as TAPS, Most Haunted that they spend one day/night in a place that is supposedly 'haunted' and get hardly any results, yet evidence from people would suggest that something is going on.

Does this point to the fact that some spirits are capable of 'knowing' when an investigation is taking place, therefore deciding whether or not to participate, lol?

Often you hear of people who have visited a building having some type of paranormal experience, i.e. being touched, seeing an apparition, hearing unusual noises etc. Yet when that place is investigated, there is no real evidence.

Your views would be appreciated!

Reply SCPD Founder
Actually we noticed that as well and sometimes we wonder if they hide more when we are around because they feel we are looking and if they were people at one point they should be able to make that type of decision or maybe certain times they can do less because of the lack of energy. Sometimes things can happen when there is a lot of people and activity going on and they draw from that. Once again it is very hard to say a lot more questions come from these answers.
And for the first question it is a little of both we get contacted and we contact as well. Mostly historical places are contacted or famous locations as well.
One more thing sometimes spirits are more comfortable around certain people leading us to believe it could be family or relatives as well in some cases.

Reply CelticSpirits
It makes sense that the spirits would draw energy from large groups of people. When activity increases at the time of remodel or construction, do you feel that they are drawing off the energies of the people involved, or just showing their displeasure at change?
Reply SCPD Founder
In th case of remodeling I would say they are unhappy with the change if they don't know they are dead or scared to move on as we think as well, They are use to certain things and like it that way.

Reply CelticSpirits
That would make sense, spirits not wanting change, if they remained at a location they loved in life. If I may, have you ever come across spirits who have ill intent?
Reply SCPD Founder
Yes we have come in contact with a few angry spirits or what we would call demons. Some seem like just angry spirits (People but angry or bad/negative) and others are like actual demons/creatures (Sounds like growling but no names or voice usually you feel heat and see strange looking creatures). What we found with the demon type is people were playing with things they knew nothing about or wanted to conjure up something evil. Ex: Ouiji boards and other practices. With the angry or negative spirits. Don't know, just people who are very territorial and think things are theirs and they want to do what they want. It is rare to find both of these but you can come across these things sometimes. We just got contacted by a minister who wants to join our group and we will see what happens could help more with the negative stuff.

Reply CelticSpirits
How do you deal with demons? Is there a different feeling to a location that has demon(s) versus an angry spirit? Is there a different protocol to how the investigation is handled?

Would you explain an angry spirit as someone who was angry in life, or is it a 50/50 shot? Are they angry because they are dead, or were they just angry evil in life?

When are you going on another investigation? I would love to hear about the differences of the investigations with a minister versus not having one. I wonder if it will make a difference or not?

I hope you don't mind me picking your brain repeatedly!

Reply SCPD Founder
Well yes there tends to be heat instead of cold when you are dealing with an angry spirit or demon. We don't know why but that seems to be the case. Once again it all depends on the person if they can deal with it or they want it gone we go from there we may tell people to look to there religion for help or we have people that do cleansings. I really don't know about the minister yet he has just contacted us and I am trying to find out more from him. If he is interested in just exorcisms or actually investigating as well. We would deal with something more negative in the same way as anything else just with a little more caution and open eyes.

Reply CelticSpirits
Have you come across someone who is willing to leave a demon or angry spirit in their home or work place?

If the owner wants the spirit gone, are cleansings always successful?

Reply SCPD Founder
Well for the most part with something negative we have encountered things outside not in a persons house. One time we found it in a persons house but the house had been blessed so whatever it was calmed down with the family but it was upset that we were there. So it may not always leave but can be calmed down. That is to the extent of what I know I'm sure there is more to this but from experience this is what I have.
Many well known psychics beleive there are no Demons or Hell as religion would have you believe etc
Just ill spirited or angry ghosts and spirits .
How do you account for them being actually demons and not just angry spirits?
When I am pissed off I can growl too so I would say growling is not valid proof of such

Reply SpiritChaser

Where are these accounts? Can they absolutley not be bebunked as an angry spirit or ghost?

Reply CelticSpirits
There are numerous accounts in numerous books. I have several books that contain accounts of demonic activity. Can a psychic debunk or prove that they are not demons? If so how are they doing it? What is their basis of proof? It all comes down to ones beliefs and experiences.
Reply SpiritChaser
I understand that but what I know is that demons have been debunked as not demons at all so where is the evidence to the contrary?

Reply CelticSpirits
Just out of sheer curiosity who debunked demons? I have heard that certain groups have discounted them, but proven that they do not exist? I would love to read that information!

Reply SCPD Founder
I would say from my experience I have seen creatures that didn't seem human. I don't know about that, could be some sort of shape shifting type of spirit. I would say I don't get into religion so much in my answer more a way to classify something we don't understand. Creature wise I saw a 9 or 10 foot tall transparent werewolf looking creature with horns. Not just growling but what I and others saw that night and on another occasion many witnessed a little black figure creature running in front of us and disappear. Have no real answer for that except what I and others know they saw. So for me it comes down to experience. This field is kind of based on that and started out that way. People have become believers from experience.

Return to “Ghost Hunting Equipment”