The weapons of Ghosthunters

This section is for members to post information on equipment that they use, the good and the bad. If you know of an instrument that you recommend this is the place to put it.
Jemm
Admin
Admin

The weapons of Ghosthunters

Postby Jemm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:20 pm

Highlander
Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2008

I have never personally been Ghost hunting..I have heard of it and after being here I know 5% of it but..here's what I don't know:

What is more effective in Ghosthunting?
Is it Camera's both still photo's or Video
E.V.P.'s and Tape recorders
Electromagnetic readers
A group of witnesses

I mean my point or question rather is what tools are considered useful as proof of paranormal activity..I mean people can say they saw a Ghost but what actually backs their story up?

And can anyone also tell me what other devices there are for Ghosthunting? (With the exception of Crosses,wooden Stakes..Holy water and Garlic lol)
Also another question has technology advanced in this field and has it ever really proven Ghosts existence 100% undeniable?

Thanks for taking the time to read this..and I apologize in advance if this sounds skeptical..it's not meant to be

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Re: The weapons of Ghosthunters

Postby Jemm » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:22 pm

MEMBERS REPLIES
While I have never personally been on a ghost hunt, I have read numerous books and articles on the subject. While I in no way claim to be an expert or a professional, I have learned quite a bit. I am sure that other members will have more input on this subject. Great topic and questions!

It appears that all the devices that you mentioned are key instruments in a ghost hunt. Both still photography, and videos are always used. So are the thermal cams. EVPS are also great in trying to prove the existence of ghosts. EMF readers are also used as well as digital thermometers. They are used to prove the existence of temperature drops. Groups will take a base line temp and EMF read prior to starting any investigation. This gives them an idea of any fluctuation they may get that are not in conjunction with the baseline readings. When they get a reading that is higher than the baseline reading, they will then start asking questions on their DVRS and taking still photos.

Personal experiences can not be deemed 'proof' of the paranormal. The problem with personal experiences is that there is no 'proof' one has to take the witness's account at face value. Nothing can state whether it is true or not. Now, personal experiences that accompany high EMF readings or temperature drops can be taken with a wee bit more credence. Not proof by any means, but the readings can help to back up the witness's statement.

When all of these things are added together, and they get positive readings, that is where the proof lies.

There are numerous videos and photographs that clearly show something that is unexplainable. Is this proof? The answer to that is all in the beliefs of the person viewing the evidence. A believer in the paranormal will jump on the proof, a skeptic will blame it on lighting and shadows. A good investigation group will try to debunk the evidence, only claiming it paranormal when all natural and explainable possibilities have been ruled out. Part of the problem with video and photographic evidence is that there are so many false examples of 'proof' out there, they tend to discredit the true evidence.

I will post some video's of evidence caught by TAPS in the video section of this board.

S.C.P.D REPLY
Yes I say the most effective devices are audio, cameras-video and still and witnesses help to validate what happened. We have brought a skeptic with us many times and we caught some amazing footage once and he stopped going out with us. He did not say he is a believer now but he has changed and can't say what we did catch on film. There is nothing yet to prove 100% but people who experience it seem to be confidant it is real. As far as more equipment goes EMF Electro magnetic field meters are used to check, well... what it says, the magnetic field and how it seems to change when activity or something paranormal is around. Temperature equipment is also used because it is said spirits need energy and use heat and other sources of energy to manifest themselves. Cameras also seem to get better results with night vision, infrared and thermal features.

http://www.myspace.com/scpdetectives
http://www.myspace.com/mcpierre

detectiveac REPLY
I would also like to point out that we discovered that it's best to have a variety of the same type of equipment. For instance, so far we have three different types of EMF meters in our group (digital, tri-field, and ghostmeter). We noticed that most teams use an arsenal of the same type/ brand. On one of our more recent investigations, it was great to be able to compare the results of the three for a more accurate reading. Not to mention they all have diiferent functions and specialties.

The same goes for temperature equipment. We currently have several different ones that measure in different ways such as surface temperature, ambient temperature, and meters that will even let you know if a temperature in a room changes.

As far as video cameras go, it's seems to proven that Sony brand camcorders have the best result as most come equipped with infrared nightvision. We recently purchased two Infrared extenders that are made to fit these cameras and they are worth every penny. I would, however, suggest staying away from the older Digital 8 Sony camcorders since we've already experienced multiple technical difficulties with them and they are very expensive to fix

Wow I kind of sound like an advertisement.

SPIRITCHASER REPLY
That is great information! Thanks for sharing! It sure helps to have inside track before purchasing expensive equipment that may not work. So advertise away!

Do you have any preference on recorders for catching EVP's?

detectiveac REPLY
We really prefer digital recorders. They range in prices but are, for the most part, inexpensive. We do have recorders that use the small casettes, but the drawbacks are that you have to buy the casette tapes and they usually cause a lot of noise. Not to mention it's a lot harder to transfer the sound to a computer. We use different brands and most are good. I personally have an Olympus brand and have no problems. The sound is clear and the mic is very sensitive. It also came with a USB cord to hook directly to the computer.

CELTICSPIRITS REPLY
I agree, advertise away...LOL I really like the idea that several different types of the same device are used. I often wondered about that. I would think that having several different brands would come in handy when trying to prove or debunk something. One can't claim that it is a device malfunction when three or four of the same device (different brands) give the same readings.

What type of still camera's do you use, and have you started with the infrared lenses in the day time? Or do you the lenses at all?

We are probably going to drive you all insane with the questions we keep asking...

Highlander REPLY
Well gotta say thanks for the info ..and the Advertisement..Hey detectiveac?...do you know where I can get a cheap Fridge?
Lol

So basically you are saying Proof is on the person who believes the most?!
Gotchya

JanC
Vapor
Vapor

Postby JanC » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:53 am

We also use many types of detecting equipment. I use a BenQ camcorder with infrared night vision and we also have a full spectrum camcorder along with an 8 channel DVR system and various normal, infrared and full spectrum still cams. We use EMF meters, EVP recorders, laser thermometers, laser grid, shadow detectors, spirit box and vortex just to name a few. Apart from ghost equipment there are cables, batteries, and many other things you need. Yes, investigating is an expensive business. My favourite piece of equipment is the Mel meter. We have the Mel-8704R-REM-ATDD version and is a great tool. This device measures the ambient temperature as in hot and cold spots, EMF fluctuations and has a REM pod built in which creates an electro magnetic field around a mini telescopic antenna. It has lights that light up when the EM field is disturbed and an alarm of various different octaves for each degree change in temp. Spirits seem to love to communicate using this device by setting off the alarm in answer to various questions and turning the alarm off when asked to.

Equipment is there as a tool to be combined with other things such as cold/hot spots, hair standing on end, feelings of the people involved, sightings, movement, smells, noises and a variety of other things.

Jan

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:22 am

:shocked: youve got the whole shebang!!
the previous posts are posts rescued from our old site which was hacked and shot down, glad you bumped up that topic. :clap:

Return to “Ghost Hunting Equipment”