People Who Don't Know They're Dead

Let's talk about shadow ghosts, poltergeists, hauntings, etc.
Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:36 pm

Posted: Wed May 07, 2008

Posted on Dec 21st, 2006 by metgat

The Bruce Willis character in the hit movie of a few years ago, The Sixth Sense, didn't know he was dead. Most people probably assumed that this was just Hollywood science fiction. A friend of mine enjoyed the movie but laughed at the idea a person (or soul) could not know he was dead. Since the friend doesn't believe in survival of consciousness at death, I asked him if he thought he would know when he became "dead." I also asked him if he knows that he is "alive" when he is dreaming at night? That one stopped him cold.

There is a book titled People Who Don't Know They're Dead by Gary Leon Hill now on the market. One of the reviewers at Amazon.com refers to it as "nutty chutzpah." Several other reviewers thought it was "crazy." I thought it was consistent with the abundance of spiraling communication from the "Other Side" suggesting that many souls are slow to recognize that they have departed the material life. That is, there seems to be a "sleep" or "dream" state that precedes the awareness that the consciousness has actually departed the physical life.

"The duration of the state of confusion that follows death varies greatly," explained Allan Kardec, the pioneering French psychical investigator of the 19th Century, in The Spirits' Book. "It may be only a few hours, and it may be several months, or even years. Those with whom it lasts the least are they who, during the earthly life, have identified themselves most closely with their future state, because they are soonest able to understand their new situation."

A very similar message comes from the extensive writings of medium Alice Bailey and her teacher, the Tibetan master, Djwhal Khul. "In the case of the [spiritually] undeveloped person, the etheric body can linger for a long time in the neighborhood of its outer disintegrating shell because the pull of the soul is not potent and the material aspect is," we read in Death: The Great Adventure. "Where the person is advanced, and therefore detached in his thinking from the physical plane, the dissolution of the vital body can be exceedingly rapid."

As set forth in God's Other Door, Edgar Cayce, the "sleeping prophet," said that "many an individual has remained in that [state] called death for what ye call years without realizing it was dead!" Cayce further explained that the "entity" becomes conscious gradually and that this is contingent upon "how great are the appetites and desires of a physical body."

Silver Birch, the spirit entity who spoke through the entranced Maurice Barbanell, said the same thing. "This [awakening] depends on the degree of awareness that the newcomer possesses," he explained. "If completely ignorant of the fact that life continues after earthly death, or if so indoctrinated with false ideas that understanding will take a long time, then there is a process of rest equivalent to sleep."

Silver Birch went on to say that the time for realization is self-determined. It can be short or long, as measured by our duration of time. For the enlightened, at least those whose actions in the physical world were in accordance with their enlightenment, it is a speedy process.

The Spiritualist classic, Claude's Book, relates communication between Claude, a British pilot killed when shot down by the Germans in World War I, and his mother through the trance mediumship of Gladys Osborne Leonard. Early on, Claude explains his passing. He first felt a blow on his head, a sensation of dizziness and falling, and then nothing more. "It may have been a fortnight or more later that I became conscious again," he told his mother through Leonard, further commenting that he had no account of time there, so he could not be sure.

After he became fully conscious on the other side, Claude received an orientation and was then put to work greeting other casualties of the war. "We bring them away so that they may return to consciousness far from their mutilated physical bodies, and oh, Mum, I feel quite tired sometimes of explaining to men that they are dead. They wake up feeling so much the same; some go about for days, and even months, believing they are dreaming."

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Re: People Who Don't Know They're Dead

Postby Dellycat » Wed Sep 21, 2011 2:37 pm

Dellycat
Posted: Wed May 07, 2008

That was a very interesting read, thankyou for putting this up
I only hope that when my time comes that I can accept where I am quickly, am not left in limbo.
The bit about someone being on a mortary table and being aware of things but not being able to move the physical body got me, I hope that never happens. but there are some interesting views in the article

Return to “Ghost Talk”