Haunted Highway Haynesville Woods Maine

Let's talk about shadow ghosts, poltergeists, hauntings, etc.

Haunted Highway Haynesville Woods Maine

Postby Jemm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:41 am

Posted: Sun Feb 15, 2009

http://www2.mcdowellnews.com/entertainment/2009/feb/04/mike-conleys-tales-weird-haunted-highway-has-tombs-ar-1560/
Truck drivers and motorists alike dreaded traveling through the Haynesville Woods, especially during the cold and snowy New England winters. The place naturally developed a sinister reputation.

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Re: Haunted Highway Haynesville Woods Maine

Postby Jemm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:42 am

Spookannie
Posted: Mon Feb 16, 2009

At first I poo-pooed this one, because a road is just a road, but I got to thinking about a stretch of road that we had to travel when my sister, brothers and I drove from Oklahoma to my college in Iowa. We could drive on Interstate almost the whole way.

But, for many years, I-35 (Interstate 35) going north out of Kansas City ended a few miles short of the Iowa border. The college we went to was just across the border in Iowa, where the Interstate picked up again, but that 10-20 miles or so, where all the cars and big trucks from the Interstate were forced onto a windy 2-lane road, was a treacherous stretch of country roads. Those trucks didn't like to slow down. In one particular short section, about 4 miles long, there were many deaths, especially during bad weather. We even found ourselves (my sister and I and two friends) slid off the road into in a ditch there during a blizzard. None of us were hurt, luckily.

Long story short, driving that 4 miles was knuckle-biting, tense and we were always relieved to come out the other end in one piece. It had a name, too, but I've forgotten in. I would not be surprised if it has stories, but it's so far in the past now that I'm not sure I could find it on a map.

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:43 am

I agree Spookannie
In the early 80's growing up on the South Coast of NSW , we often went snow skiing in the winter season down at Thredbo, because we all worked we often left to drive late at night..there is one stretch of road that spooked us everytime..

We had to drive through Goulburn which housed one of the oldest and biggest jails (?) in the country..driving passed in the daytime was bad enough..it was huge and ominous...as we drove through Goulburn and headed out of town, we all noticed a bearded man in a blue long sleeved shirt and dark blue trousers wearing no shoes , trying to thumb a ride...this was winter time and up in the mountains in that area it is bitterly cold so seeing someone hitching wearing light clothing was very odd...our car was full and there was no room anyway...as we drove past we all took a good look at him, we all agreed that was weird, that was until we turned around in our seats to see if he had scored a ride from one of the cars way behind us , but HE WAS GONE!!!
that was the highlight of our conversation the whole 6hr drive..
The next season we would make the trek to the snow fields...we forgot about our spooky hitchhiker,,,and driving out of Goulburn what did we see? yep you guessed it , the hitch hiker!!!....needless to say we took off at the rate of knots down the highway ...was he a ghost??? hells bells!!...we dont know and we weren't hanging around to find out!
writing this I can still see this man, long scraggy hair beard long sleeved blue maybe denim shirt and dark looked like blue pants and NO SHOES!
thinking about it now we should have reported it to police , but what would we say??

I wonder if anyone ever gave him a lift

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:45 am

spookannie

Freaky, Jemm! That is one crazy story.

Your post started me on a search to see if any historical record remained of that scary patch of highway we had to traverse every time we did the trek from home to college or back home on holidays. I finally found it mentioned in a book on American highways. It's about a third of the way down the paragraph "In 1974..." Apparently, it was as bad as I remembered, bad enough to be in this book!

I didn't see any ghosts, but I remember the black and white signs warning us before we entered that stretch of highway. My sister started school there in 1967. I was there between 1969 and 1973.

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:47 am

Not sure about this one but it did mention shoes

**(Across the road from the Railway Station)

Couple of pokies, cheap drinks, local identities (many of them local racing identities) minding their own business. Mostly minding their own business.

I love this pub because it isn't at all tricked out.

And because it is so old that it is thick with ghosts. All of them benign and, mostly, minding their own business.

Its heydey was when the itinerant workers, shearers etc, would get into town, slap their money down on the bar and say to the barmaid - "Tell me when it has run out, love."
The nicer barmaids would buy the blokes a pair of boots and a new pair of strides before the money ran out.

I also love it because if I am waiting for my connection home to Wingello, it is a convenient place to spend a couple of hours.

It's shabby though.

I have no idea if it still does beds and meals.

It doesn't have a website. Of course it doesn't. It hasn't moved with the times at all.

its going to take forever ...Goulburn is full of Ghosts!

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Return to Ghost Talk