Port Macquarie Historic Cemetery

Share photos and stories about old cemeteries, lonely graves, memorials or epitaphs in NSW
Jemm
Admin
Admin

Port Macquarie Historic Cemetery

Postby Jemm » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:17 pm

Also known as Kooloonbung Creek.
Port Macquarie Historic Cemetery dates from 1821. Long since closed, it is now a delightful area with shady old trees and gardens that are kept in meticulous order by the Port Macquarie-Hastings Council. Its present condition is attributed in no small measure to the work of Christopher Flyght. A plaque mounted in the grounds acknowledges his work over 20 years as a dedicated employee of the then Hastings Council, during which time "many awards were made for his constant effort in the beautification of these historical cemetery grounds."

Because of their age, many of the remaining inscriptions are weather worn and are now difficult to decipher. However, a large monument lists the names of all persons known or believed to have been buried at this site. The extant headstones were photographed and listed by Sandra Cockbain in August 2008. Sandra's digital images may be downloaded from the list of all inscriptions for this cemetery. That list was compiled with reference to the images and to the NSW early church records and indices of births, deaths and marriages for additional information
http://austcemindex.com/cemetery.php?id=387

kezbot

Re: Port Macquarie Historic Cemetery

Postby kezbot » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:46 am

That is a really peaceful and tranquil looking cemetary!

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:46 pm

I used to live in Forster NSW so quite often made the trek to Port M..
I've never been in that cemetery, but it's very impressive, perched on a hill overlooking the town...theres a really old church down the road from there and it's very historical...you are allowed to climb the turret (which I did) and the view is incredible..the church is rather spooky...the pews have really high backs and were built to hold convicts during the services...in the aisle theres a tomb of some Bishop, cant remember who....if you ever get the chance to get down that way, Port Macquarrie is a really great historical town also
Wauchope 19 km west of Port Macquarie is the location of Timbertown, a popular heritage theme park based around the logging industry ..now that place is spooky!!!

Theres a little school house (original..all buildings are original and restored) when you walk up the steps and enter the class room , theres a floorboard when stood on activates the sound of children reciting their times table...1x1 is 2...2x2 is 4 etc..creeped me out...the whole place has an atmosphere, to me personally it was a bit un-nerving. :don'tknow:

viperslate13610
Shadow
Shadow

Postby viperslate13610 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 6:24 am

Hey guys! Me and my fiancée took a little bit of a walk around the historical cemetery yesterday afternoon. It was rather peaceful and we got to have a look at all the old weather-worn headstones and bits and pieces. There was one bit, however that i found rather unsettling. Honestly, I just plain refused to walk on or anywhere near a certain area. My fiancée had no trouble with it but something in my gut told me that it was just... Wrong. To those of you who have been here to this cemetery before might recognize the spot I am talking about in the photo below.

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:58 am

oh...is that towards the rear of the property? vaugley remember that spot...it IS spooky back there.

kezbot

Postby kezbot » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:16 am

I just got goosebumps down my left side looking at that pic...... I kinda get the feeling there's something in the scrub in the background hiding and watching you... yep.. tis creepy! :butbut:

viperslate13610
Shadow
Shadow

Postby viperslate13610 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:27 am

I'm just glad that I made sure nothing followed us home! I felt wrong inside, like that sinking feeling in the stomach when you get caught doing something naughty as a kid strangely crossed with a really sad, depressing feeling like a pet just died... It was just a downright disgusting feeling. My fiancé is usually quite perceptive of this kind of thing but she didn't notice anything. I don't know why I felt like that, but I can tell you that the feeling I got will probably keep me from going to that Cemetary for quite some time.

kezbot

Postby kezbot » Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:12 pm

Well ur pic def freaks me out a little..... if u ever do decide to go back, it would be awesome if u could take an EVP with u to this area...... just saying..... :scaredrun: Lol....

Return to “Old Cemeteries - New South Wales”