Forster NSW

Share photos and stories about old cemeteries, lonely graves, memorials or epitaphs in NSW
Jemm
Admin
Admin

Forster NSW

Postby Jemm » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:03 pm

http://austcemindex.com/cemetery.php?id=226

Forster General Cemetery was photographed and listed by Paul Fitzgerald during June and July 2007. The tree covered site on the corner of Strand Street and Alban Place comprises Anglican, Catholic, Presbyterian and Independent portions, memorial gardens and a columbarium. It contains inscriptions dating from 1870. By special request, the adjoining Aboriginal cemetery has been included in this listing. A site plan is exhibited near the entrance as well as a plan of the memorial gardens.

* I lived in Forster for 10 years until 2000, and walked passed this one many times, a lot of headstones and graves that were built up from ground level were in a bad state of disrepair and neglect so much so that large holes where animals had burrowed could be seen at the side of a lot of these graves..work repairing these seems to have been done since then according to the website, to the rear of the grounds was the aboriginal section, very poorly set out and quite a disgrace, I only hope that the WHOLE grounds where cleaned up and repaired, the grave in the photo was one of the Elders I had the privilage of working with for the communtiy , May was a wonderful lady and very very respected not just in the indiginous community but the whole town, when May spoke, people listened. to see the folorn grave is just heart breaking*
Attachments
1442.jpg
(101.59 KiB) Downloaded 6 times

Return to “Old Cemeteries - New South Wales”