Location: Goyder Road, Darwin NT, near botanical gardens and golf club.
The Pioneer Cemetery was originally called “Palmerston Cemetery” and is Darwin’s first “official” cemetery. Among the gravestones and unmarked graves, lie buried the stories of hundreds of the Territory’s pioneer men, women and children. The Pioneer Cemetery was opened in 1865 and closed in 1919. Today, about 90 graves are still visible, within the new fenced area of what remains of the old cemetery. Many paranormal occurrences have been recorded within Pioneer Cemetery and its surroundings.
NT Govt' article regarding the cemetery's history: