Theatre Royal, Hobart

Glazen
Shadow
Shadow

Theatre Royal, Hobart

Postby Glazen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:29 am

Australia's oldest functioning theatre, the Theatre Royal, dates back to 1837 and is still frequently used today. Directly below the theatre with access from Hunter St, was the Shades Tavern. Opening in 1837 and closing again in late 1840, true to it's name, the shades was a rather shady place where many a ruckus at the theatre originated due to direct access to the stage pit from the tavern. Some believe that an actor at the theatre come to be known as Fred was murdered in the tavern, and now haunts the theatre. Known for calling out actors names from backstage, he has also been seen sitting in the audience by actors while performing. One actress said she spotted him singing gaily while walking through the isles, then disappeared as soon as he reached the stage. Most remarkable was in 1984 when a fire started in the theatre after hours while nobody was in the building. Miraculously the fire curtain was lowered saving the theatre. Many people believe it was Fred who lowered the curtain, so that the show could go on.

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Re: Theatre Royal, Hobart

Postby Jemm » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:59 pm

awwww bless him he sounds like a real charicter, heres a few pics I found
Attachments
aacadja.jpg
aacadja.jpg (62.56 KiB) Viewed 1227 times
theatre-royal.jpg
theatre-royal.jpg (64.67 KiB) Viewed 1227 times

Glazen
Shadow
Shadow

Postby Glazen » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:11 pm

thankyou again Jemm :yesmaster: I seem to be saying that to you a lot :bigwink:

here's the only pic I can find of the Shades Tavern aswell. I would love so much to get down there with a camera.

I recently found out there is tunnels and underground buildings all underneath Hobart! There's theatres and ballrooms and cafe's... sorry, I'm pretty excited about it all, I'm going to hit up the local council and try to get permission for a day :cheesy:
Attachments
r460745_2264058.jpg
r460745_2264058.jpg (172.47 KiB) Viewed 1225 times

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:22 pm

:yeah:
woooohoooo ...now that sounds like a plan...and hey , stop thanking me , its my job :histerics:
Delly and I are pretty good detectives..not often we're stumped on a situation :examine:
So if theres anything you cant find just yell :grin:

Glazen
Shadow
Shadow

Postby Glazen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:59 pm

I got in contact with someone at the Hobart City Council today, unfortunately due to public liability and safety or some such bollocks they would not allow me to enter any of the closed off areas :furious:

I know this isn't anything paranormal, and it may just be me, but I find this all really fascinating. Plus I would be very surprised it there wasn't anything lurking down there :scared:
I have found a list of a lot of the old premises that were underneath the city, if I can find some photos I might pop them into the off topic forum just in case anyone else is interested :smile:

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Postby Dellycat » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:35 pm

Wow, this is interesting :cheesy:
I hate bureaucracy these days, it is big stick syndrome gone to far. Probably due to what happens over seas, someone not looking where they are going, gets hurt, sues... no responsibility any more for ones actions and it costs every one else. :don'tknow:

Is it worth another/different approach and ask if it is possible to enter the restricted areas with a member of the council. If you appear understanding of safety issues, present a case that you are doing research etc... you never know, you may win :cheesy:

Another avenue to take is ask if a city engineer is due to go there to inspect things, ask if you can go along as well as an observer. The parallel to this is we are 4wdrivers here and there are areas we are not allowed in any more, to gain access to management tracks we ask the local ranger if it is possible for us to attend when he preforms one of his regular track checks. Some rangers don't mind being asked and enjoy the company.

I have had to deal with councils before when doing research on historical things over here and managed to get access to lots of things by being agreeable and understanding and abiding by my promises when access is given. The worst is they say no.

Return to “Tasmania”