Oakabella Homestead - Western Australia

Talk about the hauntings and ghosts of Australia. If you know of a place of interest post it here. If we get enough information on a place it will then be placed in the Australia's Historical Haunted Places forum.
Storm Angel
Spirit
Spirit

Oakabella Homestead - Western Australia

Postby Storm Angel » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi guys, I'm back from a rather long slumber. lol :)

I just wanted to share with you a place I visited last week. :)

OAKABELLA HOMESTEAD - WESTERN AUSTRALIA

This is a beautiful historical property about 15km south of Northhapmton and 30km north of Geraldton in WA.
The property is owned and operated by Alan Jackson and Loretta Wright. Camping at the homestead is permitted and there is a tearoom where one can enjoy homemade country scones and tea. There are also daily tours between 9am and 4pm which explore the history of the homestead and life in early colonial Australia.
This establishment is among the oldest European settlements in this part of WA (1851).

This house also has its share of ghostly activity too. ;)
Reported by some paranormal investigators as one of the most haunted houses in WA.

Loretta is simply lovely, an enthusiastic person who is very passionate about the homestead's history, a hard worker of the property who shines with true Aussie rural spirit and genuine hospitality.

I did a tour during my stay and I can tell you first hand that the lounge room was truly alive with presence, I actually felt dizzy and short of breath for a moment. Soon afterwards one of the picture frames hanging from the lounge room wall made a 'clicking' noise which actually startled another elderly couple who were on the same tour. :)

Many people have reported witnessing activity of various kinds from orbs, apparitions, moving objects and even experiencing powerful dreams of genuine psychic nature.

This place has a very powerful and magic feel to it. It is a very spiritual place which was considered sacred by the local Aboriginal people of the area.
The landscapes are nothing short of stunning and the property has it's own canyon and creek running through it, lined with ghost gums and river red gums.
Some waterholes within the gorge are also frequented by zebra finches, galahs, Port Lincoln parrots and many other native bird species.

It is not only a place for the architecture and history buffs, but it also has paranormal activity and presents several photographic opportunities for the keen landscape and bird photographer.

Highly recommended.
Loretta and Alan are wonderful people who truly make you feel welcome in their home.

The best times to visit Oakabella is in early spring (Late Aug/September) when the wildflowers of the region are in full bloom, splashing their vivid colours across the dramatic semi-arid woodlands and red sands.

This 1860's heritage-listed beautifully restored homestead is located 30 kilometres north of Geraldton.

The site boasts tales of the super natural, an impressive artefact collection sourced mainly from Oakabella and lovingly restored buildings all situated on 1000 acres of farmland.

Oakabella Manager Loretta Wright takes us on a journey of the past owners of Oakabella, what life was like for the Jackson family at Oakabella and shares her knowledge and enthusiasm for Oakabella's history.

"Oakabella, a land of ghosts and beautiful scenery."
http://www.abc.net.au/local/videos/2009 ... 775637.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Oakabella, the most haunted house in Western Australia."
http://oakabella.blogspot.com.au/2007/0 ... stead.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are a few photos of my own that I managed to capture during my stay... :)

Click panorama thumbnail for larger pic:

Thanks everyone, I hope you enjoy this post. :)

Jacci (SA). xx

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Re: Oakabella Homestead - Western Australia

Postby Dellycat » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:46 am

Great to see you back again :clap:

Thank you for sharing that with us, very interesting place. I remember stopping there a few years ago, the last time we headed north to Shark Bay, unfortunately we didn't have time to do much other than a quick look around before having to keep to a time schedule due to the fact we were meeting up with another group of people for the trip.

I love your photos, you have caught the local colour very well :grin:

Are you still in WA or back home in the NT? We had a dooozy of a storm yesterday and pity I had to work or I would have been out with the camera. :don'tknow:

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Wed Sep 05, 2012 4:12 pm

geeze this bucket list of mine is getting very very very long :help:

great to see you again :yes:
very pretty photos too I like :Ilike:

Storm Angel
Spirit
Spirit

Postby Storm Angel » Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 pm

Thanks for the comments! :)

DellyCat, I am back in the NT now. It's actually quite hot here already with the build-up on the way.
I'll be going back to WA next year and most probably paying Loretta another visit along the way.
I love WA, especially to the E and SE of Perth up in the hills around York and the Balingup / Nunnup areas, the small country towns there are so beautiful! :)

Dellycat
Site Owner/Admin
Site Owner/Admin

Postby Dellycat » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:43 am

Wish it was a bit warmer here at the moment though will probably be complaining it is too hot soon :giggle:
There are lots of places out of Perth that are nice, depending on what you want to see. If you are into old buildings, there is a nice old Police out post heading out to Tammin that I can point you to.
If you want to see old cemeteries, I am the person to ask ... well... my collection of pioneer cemetery locations is growing and some are in the areas you like to visit.
I was talking to our sons girlfriend this evening and she said she had one of those telemarketing calls the other day trying to sell discounted hotel accommodation and she said they prefer to camp. His reply was... what is there to see in WA! it is dry over there and nothing to do!
She asked him where he was and he said Tasmania... She told him that explained it.. :histerics:

No offence to members on here from Tasmania.... :smile:

Jemm
Admin
Admin

Postby Jemm » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:10 am

the telly marketer thing is funny because we had one a while ago , hubby loves messing with them , he asked the same thing "where are you calling from?" (the caller had an aussie accent but with that unmistakable indian twang that will never leave no matter how hard they try)..anyway , the caller said with hesitation..Sydney, to which hubby said "oh thats good , then can you tell me who our Primeminister is? "thats when the fun began..
with stutters and stammers and constant trying to change the subject, hubby wasn't going to let up (we had the call on speaker phone) hubby kept firing questions that the caller couldnt answer to the point where the caller eventually gave up and ended the call...was hilarious. :histerics:

Strangely we haven't had any calls since he asked the last one would he win a prize if he scratched the Red Dot :verysad:

Dr Whom
Spirit
Spirit

Postby Dr Whom » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:46 pm

Me 85 year old Mum messes with them big time.

I was quite surprised to see what she does.

When they ring, she pretends she can't hear them, and keeps saying Hello? Hello?

Meanwhile, the person at the other end, usually with a strong accent, is speaking louder, and trying to be clearer. After about 3 minutes they give up.

The Doctor

Return to “Haunted Australia”